There’s a fine line to walk between being unsupportive and letting someone make decisions for themselves. When today’s guest, personal trainer and paleo guru Tony Federico, was a teenager, he was a chronic quitter. He didn’t have anyone telling him not to quit when he wasn’t feeling something, and instead of this having an adverse effect on his life, Tony’s confidence in his own decisions grew.
Listen To The Podcast:
About Tony Federico:
Tony has quit nearly everything he’s come across in life – karate, football, high school, and a fair few of his jobs. But this doesn’t mean that he’s wasting his life. Far from it, actually.
Tony has used his tendency to quit to have some forced introspection and truly examine what he wants out of life. After a death in his late teens, he used this period to figure out and understand that he wants to spend his life focused on health and wellness.
For the past 10 years, Tony has been working as a personal trainer and contributor to paleo health publications. And now, he’s working as the Vice President of Marketing for paleo health company, Natural Force.
In this episode, Tony and I talk about how taking hold of your own life decisions, even if it means quitting, can lead to some incredible experiences and opportunities. We also look at what happens if you actually stick something through to the end – and see what amazing outcomes are possible.
Tony eventually replaced his quitting tendencies with overcommitment. This led to some issues as well, however, and ultimately led him to realize he needed to find a place of balance between quitting and committing. We also examined the differences between the “painful known” and the “unknown possibility” and talked about how these concepts can help you find balance.
Are you, or have you been, a chronic quitter? How have you learned to explore the limitless possibility to design your own life? Do you use exercise to help you make decisions?
In This Episode:
- How a lack of introspection can lead you to quit
- Why it’s important to let a child make some decisions on their own, without parental intervention
- How you can use tragedy and your tendencies to quit to start to examine the self to help you learn and grow
- What benefit yoga and other wellness exercises can have on your mental health
- How your life events can impact your decision to start sticking to things
- What happens when you commit to something and see it through to the end
- Why you need to figure out what type of hard you’re working through
- How to reach a point when you realize you need balance
- Where you can balance on the threshold between discomfort and pain
- How you can become a more balanced version of yourself
- What the “painful known” and the “unknown possibility” are
- Why you should never burn bridges when you quit
- How you can make strategic decisions to better your health, relationships, and life
“Maybe that’s part of it. I didn’t have a lot of people telling me to not quit.” (6:14)
“There is an openness for the first time and a willingness to do the self-examination for the very first time.”(9:08)
“It’s hard, but that doesn’t mean you need to stop. Discomfort is part of the process. You’re not gonna feel good the entire time.” (12:27)
“It’s not just about quitting something or committing to something. It’s about – what am I really trying to achieve in my life. What is the real big picture goal?” (16:32)
“How do you know the next thing is going to be better? And the answer is – you don’t. But what you do know is the pain you don’t want.” (27:22)
Also check out:
- Get $50 off an OURA ring HERE!
- Neurohacker 15% Discount – use coupon code QUIT
- Learn more about Neurohacker’s new product ETERNUS!
READY TO MAKE QUIT HAPPEN?
Then you’re in luck! Because my online course, Make Quit Happen, is available to start now! It’s a six-week program in which each week we tackle a different step in the strategic quitting process so that at the end of the course you know WHAT you need to quit, you have overcome any quitting-related FEARS, and you’ve got HOW to make the quit happen all planned out!
Sign up HERE!
Get my book, Quitting by Design!
And if you happen to be feeling stuck in some area of your life, and may be contemplating a quit or wanting to learn more about strategic quitting, come hang out with me on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube!
In addition, I’ve started taking on private coaching clients, if you’d like to be one of them, click HERE to set up a call so we can dive deeply into your unique quit.
Also, I’d love to have you join us over in QUITOPIA, the facebook group for the few, the proud, the quitters, where I share more quitting related content and we can all interact and support each other through our quits.
One last thing – if you have an iPhone, or an iPad, or an i-Anything, and you find the info on Quit Happens to be valuable, I’d really appreciate it if you could leave a rating or a review. To do so, pull up the show in the Podcast app and then scroll to the bottom, and click on write a review. Giving the show a rating or review or sharing it with a friend all are great ways to help other people find the show so they too can get started quitting their way to a more fulfilling life.